Friday, September 6, 2013

Pitch Madness SJ-12: PIRATE JENNY


Genre:  YA Historical

Word Count:  60,000

Pitch: 17yo Jenny discovers that the mother who abandoned her is the Red Lady pirate. When her mother is imprisoned, Jenny must decide to either rescue her or let her swing from King Henry’s noose.

Excerpt:  
The ship stole into the harbor just after dark. I happened to be looking out the upstairs window at the full moon reflected on the blue black water. I liked how the image wavered back and forth as the waves moved. Was the ship a reflection of the light?
I blinked and the image vanished. Thinking I had imagined it, I turned back to the room with the cleaning rag in my hand, I jumped. Meg watched me from the doorway.
“Girl? You dreaming again? Get to work before I whip you.” Meg flew at me with her hand raised.
I ducked and scurried out of her way. I ran down the stairs taking two at a time.
“Get back here, girl.”
Meg was old and had a substantial girth so I knew she would not be able to catch me. I giggled as I rounded the corner and ran smack into Thomas, who carried a full tray of goblets filled to the brim with ale. Of course they spilled all over him, me and the floor. I landed on my bottom, my dress soaked.
He glared at me. 
“Fetch me six goblets of ale and take them to the table by the window.” Thomas shook himself like a dog would, sending more droplets of the nasty smelling brew all over me.
“I smell like ale,” I wailed as I wrung out a handful of hair dripping with the stuff. I stood and tried to get around him but he caught my arm. 

6 comments:

  1. Fun and strong start! I'm happy you got a request.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love pirate stories - and I forgot them on my wish list. The pitch just had me all ga ga. Two strong female characters and I'm left wondering if Jenny will follow in her mother's footsteps - love stories that make me think about what could be the ending. I also know of an editor chasing pirate stories and I reckon other editors will want them too - so I'm hoping Jordy loves it and finds a home for this MS.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You had me at pirates. Especially lady pirates. Love the pitch, the writing, the voice...I want more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Abandoned by Red lady pirate? Too clever. Well written mother/daughter stories tend to capture my heart and this concept is terrific!

    ReplyDelete